The agent may want you to sign in when attending an “open house”. In fact, the seller of the house, being held open, may have told the real estate agent, that is representing them, to have everyone sign in with all of their personal information.
Hold on for a second….
What was the “bolded text” in the last part I wrote?
“The seller of the house being held open may have told the real estate agent…” “All of their personal information…” “E-mail addresses, Mailing addresses, with the question of whether they are looking to buy or sell a home…”
I guess I answered my own question – it is not likely that the seller is mandating the “sign in procedure” at an open house. Most likely this is being scripted by the Real Estate agent hosting the open house.
We hand out leaflets about how to keep safe when viewing open houses. The first part of the pretty color flyer says, “If you have Realtor representation, hand this flyer back to me…”
“here is the rest of the verbiage…”
Here are some “Must Reads” when visiting OPEN HOUSES!!!
(References on the World Wide Web follow each topic)
- If you have an agent please stay loyal – don’t get convinced it would be better to switch agents, It is not: http://paris911.com/ListingAgents
- Standard Sales may offer you a better advantage over Short Sales and Foreclosures – Consider that you have an actual “human” seller to deal with: http://paris911.com/StandardSales
- Some Open Houses that you will visit are not available for sale– This one always cranks my gears, ask the agent if the home is really available, is it a “marketing gimmick” or is it in escrow with an offer having been submitted or accepted by the seller: http://paris911.com/OpenHouses
- Signing in is not ever “Mandatory” – You might never be able to shake the realtor as they bombard you with marketing pieces. Although some may say the seller requires it, no one can 100% require you to at an Agent Brokered open house. Protect your personal information: http://paris911.com/SigningIn
- Searching for Real Estate – Use a local real estate search engine – There is an extreme advantage: http://paris911.com/IDX
The fact of the matter is keeping yourselves safe when visiting open houses in any city. Make sure if you have a real estate agent, they have explained to you about “procuring cause”. It will mean a lot to your chosen real estate representative that you care enough to ask.